Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Update on both our girls


Sweet, sweet Katie. What Can I say? She is quiet, gentle and seems to be housetrained. I think she came from a home where she had people who loved her. I’m just guessing of course. She wants so desperately to be near me, and especially my husband. I can’t help but think she is lonely for her person. Perhaps a man. Perhaps a man who took her hunting ?? She just seems a little lonely. Maybe one of you reading this blog has the time and ability to love our dear Katie. She just needs that special person to bring her into their home and give her all the attention a good girl should have.
Katie came to us newly spayed. So our outdoor time has been limited to leisurely strolls down the country road, and time in the back yard. We see hints of a dog that is ready to burst into a full run. I bet she is graceful and fast. I think we will try the dog park this weekend and let her show us her stuff. I will let you know how that goes.
We are also interested to see how Katie reacts to other dogs. She seems to have taken to our Charlie just fine, although the first day she did give him a little growl when he tried to share some of my attention when I was petting her. That was the very first day, and we have not seen anything like it again. The two of them have been getting along fine ever since.
Now a little update on Farrah. She has made great progress in our few weeks, and is a happy little pup……except for the first few days Katie moved in. Poor Farrah was not happy about the new roommate.  She was completely fine and happy while Katie was in her crate, but when we let Katie out, Farrah would get upset, growl some, and retreat to her own crate. When Farrah was in her crate and Katie would happen to walk by, again we would get a growl. Now we are not sure if this is because Katie is female (Farrah loves Charlie our male), or because Katie is BIG, so we took to only having one girl free in the house at a time (sad). However…. This morning I came in from outside with Katie and due to some unfortunate timing, Farrah met me at the door. I thought we were in for trouble, but much to my surprise, I was able to walk Katie right by Farrah without incident. So…. Maybe Farrah just needed some time. We will continue to monitor the situation and give updates, but for now it might be best for Farrah to have SLOW introductions to females and/or big dogs. More to come on this………
I love having both fosters in the house. It’s been fun, but a little crazy. We are not really set-up to have three dogs at one time. Hopefully someone out there is ready for one of our great foster girls. They are both housetrained, good with people, and completely ready for their forever homes. They will make great family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment